Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hello to all our friends and family back home in the United States.  It started out very hot and sunny but luckily there were a few clouds in the afternoon to keep the temperature down a bit.  This morning we ventured to the home for the sick and dying babies.  Just the name breaks a piece of your heart.  However I am grateful that there is a place here for the children who may not have any home if not for this place and the wonderful volunteers who take care of these children.  The minute we arrived, a toddler came running over to me.  I picked him up and we were two peas in a pod the rest of my visit.  I tried to find out his name but was unsuccessful so decided to name him Henry for the time being.  We spent time in the shade just resting.  We saw animals, people, and cars go by from a distance.  My favorite of course, 'la chien, woof, woof,' my little buddy said.  And of course the one word I understood quite well "oui."   Oui or non to everything.  We even went down the slide.  Henry was very excited when he could see the exhaust fan on the roof of an adjacent building spinning.  It reminds us of the little things that bring the most joy in life.  These kids did not have toys like our children have so they created their own toys with rocks, sticks, and leaves.  The kids even figured out to pull down ripening almonds from a tree for a little snack.  While Henry went to eat his lunch, I fed another little boy that couldn't sit up yet and barely could move his head.  Now his name tag said he was 2 years old but he seemed more around 10 months to 12 months.  The last baby I held that was this small and fragile was my own daughter about 14 years ago.  I think I made more of a mess on his bib then he did.  After he was finished eating, I laid him down to clean off his face and remove his bib.  Just when I started panicking about how I was going to remove his bib without him moving his neck, he moved his head to the other side, along with a huge grin.  The biggest brown eyes I have ever seen.  Moments like this I know God is right there.  Both of these boys will forever be in my heart.

After visiting with the babies, we traveled to the Apparent Project.  This is a store selling all Haiti made products from bags to necklaces, bracelets, earrings, metal art, etc.  We were told we had just missed the Clintons (yep Bill and Hillary) who had just donated two kilns for the pottery making.

Later in the day we went and visited an orphanage.  There were 22 children ranging from toddlers to teenagers.  I was very impressed by how well behaved all the children were and how healthy they looked.  Sam had a great chat with one of the teenage boys about music, sports and even speaking Spanish.  We sang some songs, had a snack, and did a craft project in which they each got to decorate a t-shirt in puff paint and jewel pieces.  Kudos to my teammate Lynn for coming up with this great idea.  Not only did the kids get to decorate but they each have another piece of clothing to wear.  We also met the man who runs the orphanage.  He gave us a quick tour where we saw the library, nurse's office, and play area.  These probably don't look anything like what you are picturing if you've never been to Haiti.  The play area is dirt and rocks covered by concrete walls, the library and nurse's office are one in the same in a small 10x10 room.  These kids have it better than a lot of the children here.  My heart goes out to the people who run the orphanages.  Without them these kids may not have anything.





And a shout out to our translator that has been traveling with us all week Jonas.  He is very patient with all our questions including, "how do you say..." and "what does this mean?"  He was great with the elderly people we visited yesterday and wonderful with all the children today.  So thank you to Jonas.  Very happy to have you be our guide while visiting Haiti.

While I type this blog (first-timer by the way), I am sitting on the patio enjoying a nice breeze and listening to people sing at a nearby church.  It's music to my ears and brings joy to my heart.

P.S.  Last night that was Lynn blogging under Sam's name.  Sam did not have a beer.

1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing, Sam. Just really cool to see what you are doing down there.

    ReplyDelete