Sunday, February 17, 2013

Change of Pace

After spending 6 weeks at Grace Village in Haiti, I am looking forward to a week "vacation" to spend with the Healing Haiti team engaging in different ministries throughout Haiti. These past few weeks (month.. year...) have been busy working to advance the nutritional intake (and overall health) of the children (and staff) at Grace Village. It will be a great "break" from my daily routine to see how the Haitian kitchen staff and Feeding Center Director do without my physical presence. I am looking forward to seeing other opportunities to dive deeper in Haiti... to impact more people than just those in our community here in Titanyen.
I am a registered dietitian-- "serving" up a whole new perspective on food for our Haitian community.  


Market in Titanyen. I love market days!! 


Eating dinner with the kids at Grace Village. 

I love my "apprentice" (the lady on the right). She is the Feeding Center Director at Grace Village... the woman I work with the most. She has learned so much about nutrition and has developed so many wonderful skills over the past few months. I am so proud of her.

Just fixing up a black bean salsa for the kids. For many of the Haitians, this was a first time experience eating salsa. 

I am anticipating our trip to Cite Soleil with hopes to see some familiar faces, excited to see the new building at The Home for Sick and Dying, and to witness, firsthand, the work my friend has been doing at Gertrudes (home for those with handicaps and disabilities). I will be eager to show the team (and my mom) my home at Grace Village and to share with them a glimpse of life in Haiti.

Sunset view from my home at Grace Village. 


Above all, I am just eager to see my mom...and spend the week serving beside her. It will be refreshing to catch-up and to talk face-to-face (rather than through brief e-mails/facebook messages...and sketchy skype-calls). I can't imagine a more refreshing "vacation" than serving in my second home with my best friend.. 

I love skype-dates with my mom and baby niece... the internet has been down for the past 2.5 weeks, so we haven't been able to talk much. 


See you in less than 24 hours, team! :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment