Saturday, February 23, 2013

Gertrude's Little Miracles

Have you ever experience pure uninhibited joy?  That is how our Thursday was when we walked into Gertrude's orphanage for the disabled children of Haiti.  It was a joy to see the wonderful progress that has been made to the facility with a new play area in the back yard that included a wheel chair swing.



But the pure uninhibited joy came from the smiles and laugher of the children as we pushed them in wheel chair races across the playground, played with the amazing tactile wall and had the children laughing while chasing the bubbles. 


I was especially touched by the little miracle boy that I fell in love with.  He was sitting in the front courtyard away from all of the other children with an eye mask on.  I felt bad that he was so isolated from all of the other fun that was happening.   I found out that he has been blind since birth and just had eye surgery only a week or two ago.  He was just started to actually see. They allowed me to take him back and I placed him on my lap on the swing.  What joy on his face as he felt the soft wind on his face.  As one of my team members singing the Barney I Love You song.  As I joined her in song the boy sang along and gave me a big kiss on the cheek.  It broke my heart to experience is pure joy in the simplicity of the moment.


It was one of the best days for the team, not only did we wear out the children, they also wore us out, but left us with a heart full of pure uninhibited joy of feeling like a child again!

No comments:

Post a Comment