Friday, April 13, 2012

Angels Among Us!!




Do you believe in Angels?? After the last two days here in Haiti, I have no question about it. I personally have witnessed angel after angel. It is easy to see the angel in every small child encountered including the sick babies at the home for the sick and dying or the angels in their wheel chairs at Gertrude's orphanage for the disabled and physically challenged, or the small child in her pink winter coat with white fur at the water stop in cite sole....but if you look more closely you will see the angels in the adults that surround them.
It is still hard to comprehend the courage of the care takers, the school masters as well as the parents struggling to help their children survive and yet among the despair there is a constant sense of hope and joy and absolute and complete faith in God.
Yesterday we spent time at Elder School in Cite Sole where we were fortunate to see several children that we saw at the water stop in the slums 2 days prior. There was a sense of relief and excitement to know that these children had sponsors to pay for their education and give them an opportunity for a better life long term as well as one decent meal during their day.
We made 3 small water truck runs as well, it was a different experience than the first day with most children in school and having had heavy night rains for the last several nights, the need was not as great. Can you imagine using rain water as your main supply for drinking water. I know that it does wonders for your hair, but not sure it is the best for your daily intake. I questioned one of the Haitian staff members regarding the sanity of drinking rain water and he responded "Rain is one of God's gift from heaven of course it is good for us." Again a testimony to their undying faith!!
We spent a short time in the afternoon at the Home for the Sick and Dying Adults. I knew that I had some aprehension going in and knew I was out of my element. I could also see that aprehension in the eyes of my team members. So I dug deep into my heart and asked God for the courage to think beyond myself. I started right in applying cooling powder on the necks and arms of the ailing woman. There was an immediate response to my touch with soft moans of delight, smiles and kisses from the women. It was heart breaking to see women younger than myself suffering from disease that if caught early enough in the states that they would not be near death. Before I knew it I was lotioning and massaging their legs and feet and no longer was there any anxiety or discomfort. My only concern became the moment that I would have to stop and move on to the next person knowing that my small touch had had such a great impact.
At one point one of the women was trying desperately to tell me something in Creole. I was concerned that the lotion or powder may have been iritating her so I asked for help in the translation. She had thought I was an angel and asked me to bless her and heal her legs so that she would be strong enough to walk again. If only God could give me such power. So I blest her and told her "Jesu renmen ou", "Jesus loves you". It was heart breaking to know that I could not do any more for her....

No comments:

Post a Comment