Sunday, April 15, 2012

RAIN

In Haiti it rains pretty much every evening this time of year.  On one such evening, during a flood of rain from the charcoal black sky, I sat taking in all the smells, sounds and sights I love so much about a summer rain storm.  I was contemplating how the refreshing smells and cleansing of a good rain has a healing effect on the earth and its people. I was thinking, especially here, how cleansing an evening rain felt from the heat  and dust of the day, and sights and smells of refuse piled up on the streets.  Like everything else, as I spent time here in Haiti, rain has taken on a new perspective for me.

On one hand, as an insightful young lady shared with me, " I used to like rain storms before I came here, now all I can think about are the people in Cite Soleil whose dirt floors become flooded and muddy".  That kind stopped me in my tracks!  Somehow the sweetness of a summer rain now has a significantly different meaning to me.  I suspect each time I feel that sensation of a warm summer rain, I will again be taken back to the reality of her statement. My heart will be transported back to the two Haitian angels I held in my arms the first day we delivered fresh water to Cite Soleil.

On the other hand there is the holy rain of living water from the Father that pours over our souls and provides healing here in Haiti.  I wondered why this living water falls more frequently here then back home?  How is that out of a charcoal dark night of life, healing water flows so profusely here in Haiti.  Is it the angels from above?  It may be.  But I am more inclined to believe it is the angels found here in Haiti, whose voices are heard by our Heavenly Father in heaven. They have poured His living water over me through their faith, their joy and their beauty.  I came to help but they helped me, no they healed me! Praise be to God and God bless His people in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment